Skip to main content
United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG)
- Prof. Dr. Ingeborg Schwenzer, CISG Online
- Note: Case citations in Schlechtriem & Schwenzer, Commentary on the UN Convention on the International Sale of Goods (3rd English ed., Oxford, 2010) are to cases in this database.
Trade Usage: INCOTERMS
- There are now revised ICC International Commercial Terms (INCOTERMS 2010). These are ICC's rules for the use of domestic and international trade terms. International Chamber of Commerce sells copies of INCOTERMS 2010 and ICC Guide to INCOTERMS 2010.
- Older contracts will reference older versions of INCOTERMS. Also, as ICC notes at its website, parties to a contract for the sale of goods can agree to choose any version of INCOTERMS. Thus, BLS Library also has INCOTERMS 2000 and INCOTERMS 1990.
Restatement of International Contract Principles: UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (PICC)
- UNIDROIT, UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (2010) and UNIDROIT Principles (2004)
- Courts & arbitrators frequently refer to the UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (PICC) in conjunction with CISG. In 2010, the Governing Council of UNIDROIT adopted the 3rd ed. of the UNIDROIT Principles of International Commercial Contracts (“UNIDROIT Principles 2010”). According to UNIDROIT's website, "the UNIDROIT Principles 2010 contain new provisions on restitution, illegality, plurality of obligors and obligees, and conditions, while with respect to the text of the 2004 edition the only significant changes made relate to the Comments to Article 1.4."
- But see remarks of Prof. Dr. Peter Huber, Some Introductory Remarks on the CISG, V. Gap Filling, 2. Use of the Principles of International Commercial Contracts.
- See also discussion of how UNIDROIT Principles and INCOTERMS should be treated in Schlechtriem & Schwenzer, Commentary on the UN Convention on the International Sale of Goods 196 (3rd English ed., Oxford, 2010)
- Link: UNILEX website providing case law & bibliography re. UNIDROIT Principles (most material focuses on the 2004 UNIDROIT Principles)
United Nations Convention on the Use of Electronic Communications in International Contracts
Convention on Agency in the International Sale of Goods