Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Bluebook, 19th Edition
New York Law Reports Style Manual
New York Law Reports Style Manual (The Tan Book) by
When preparing New York appellate briefs, use the New York Law Reports Style Manual. The Style Manual is available in print and electronically.
See Rule 3.0 for citing Statutes and Legislative Materials.
For citing to statutes, follow Bluebook Rule 12.
- For official or unofficial codes, follow Rule 12.3.
- For session laws, follow Rule 12.4.
- For invalidation, repeal, amendment or prior history, follow Rule 12.7.
- For citing to secondary sources, follow Rule 12.6.
- For short forms of statutes, follow Rule 12.10.
- Table T.1: Lists proper citation forms for federal and state codes and session laws.
- Table T.10: Lists proper state abbreviations.